UAS Pilot Code & Safety Culture Pledge
All certified TOP Operators pledge to abide by the Remote Pilot Council Safety Culture Pledge and commit to the following Code of Safety, Professionalism, Reliability and Trust.
I pledge to:
- Follow airmanship principles, contained in the TOP PCM.
- Maintain the appropriate licensing, training, proficiency and competency on the UAS system being used.
- Conduct UAS flights only after a thorough assessment of risks associated with the activity. Risk assessment elements are detailed in the TOP PCM, at a minimum, they will include:
- Check that weather and wind conditions support safe operations relative to the performance capability of the system.
- Know my system’s limitations and prepare for contingencies (lost link, power plant failures, loss of control, etc.). I will have an emergency plan ready.
- Brief myself, my crew and spectators on the flight details and safety issues and protect my control area.
- Confirm that my crew and I are fit for flight operations and free from the effects of drugs, alcohol, illness or fatigue.
- Comply aviation regulations as appropriate to the operation and airspace. I will monitor the airspace during all flight operations for potential conflicts.
- Establish a relationship and communicate with local law enforcement and public safety officials as appropriate. Know how to reach them in an emergency.
- Confirm that I am familiar with equipment reliability, performance, and airworthiness standards, that all my paperwork is in order and at hand, including insurance and aircraft manuals.
- Ensure all my equipment is working and compliant: Communication, command, control and payload frequency spectrum requirements. I will develop contingency plans.
- Comply with all federal, state, and local laws, ordinances, covenants, and restrictions, including privacy, nuisance and trespassing.
- Be respectful and responsive to the needs of the public and environment.
- Cooperate fully with federal, state, and local authorities in response to emergency deployments and mishap investigations.
- Promote integration into the national airspace by following regulations and utilizing LAANC and other approved tools.
- Share my experience to improve safety performance for others in the industry.
- Encourage other remote pilots to follow this Safety Culture Pledge.