Sr Mechanical Design Engineer
II-VI Optical Systems' designs, manufactures, assembles and tests precision optical systems and components. Our products have been deployed on military platforms such as submarines, tanks, missiles, fighter jets and UAV's. II-VI Optical Systems has grown over the years from a provider of specialty optical materials to a full service provider of optical components and optical systems.
Since its establishment in 1961, II-VI Optical Systems has maintained a commitment to customer satisfaction and continuous improvement. Our commitment to customer satisfaction is achieved by continuous training of our staff with focus on quality, on-time delivery, and cost reduction. From the initial customer inquiry to final delivery, meeting the customer's requirements is our primary objective.
The Senior Mechanical Engineer's function is to understand, conceptualize and create mechanical and opto-mechanical system layouts and designs of high complexity. Opto-Mechanical Designer function is to produce fast and efficient opto-mechanical and electro-optical design and packaging concepts using 3D solid modeling software, preferably SolidWorks.
Minimum BS Degree in engineering or related discipline, preferably in optical, mechanical or electrical engineering or related scientific discipline.
Minimum 10 years in mechanical engineering with an emphasis on design of precision mechanisms, optical assemblies and space optical systems. Experience in an aerospace engineering environment desired.
Required Skills and Abilities:
- Knowledge of various methods of lens mounting and design of optical alignment fixtures
- Experience in packaging of optics, opto-mechanical and electro-optic systems
- Expertise in 3D solid modeling and knowledge of SolidWorks (preferred) or similar software
- Strong verbal and written technical communication skills
- Must be a self-starter, capable of developing innovative, original and efficient design concepts for opto-mechanical systems, subsystems, or instruments that function in military or commercial environments
- Must be available to work flexible hours to meet customer commitments and schedule requirements, as well as being available during regular working hours as required to interface with other employees
- Position may require occasional travel (airplane and automobile). Must be able to travel to customer locations and participate in both internal and external meetings
- Proficiency in Windows NT is highly desired
"II-VI Optical Systems is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law."