Sr Coating Engineer
II-VI Optical Systems' designs, manufactures, assembles and tests precision optical systems and components. Our products have been deployed on military platforms such as submarines, tanks, missiles, fighter jets and UAV's. II-VI Optical Systems has grown over the years from a provider of specialty optical materials to a full service provider of optical components and optical systems.
Since its establishment in 1961, II-VI Optical Systems has maintained a commitment to customer satisfaction and continuous improvement. Our commitment to customer satisfaction is achieved by continuous training of our staff with focus on quality, on-time delivery, and cost reduction. From the initial customer inquiry to final delivery, meeting the customer's requirements is our primary objective.
Basic Job Functions:
Coating Engineering: Leads technical teams and coordinates engineering activities for design, development, and implementation of new thin film coating products and manufacturing processes. Responsibilities include all aspects of thin film coating engineering including coating design, tooling design, process development, qualification, and process documentation, and support of coating operations including substrate cleaning, deposition, inspection, and characterization. Serves as the Process Owner for thin film coating processes and equipment including implementation of process controls, "hands-on" monitoring of process parameters, data collection and analysis of process variables, and support of preventative maintenance programs and repairs for coating equipment. Supports program management and operations personnel with technical guidance on assigned projects. Ensures that design concepts comply with customer's specifications and are manufacturable. Supports acceptance testing, qualification testing, and troubleshooting efforts on assigned programs. Participates in configuration control (CCD), change control (ECO, NOR, RCN), and MRB activities to support assigned programs. Adheres to program financial goals and provides financial estimates and status updates to program management.
Business Development: Supports technical meetings with customers and writes technical proposals for development of new business. Assists the estimation group in evaluating technical requirements, identifying exceptions, and preparing cost estimates for customer quotes.
Personnel Development: Provides guidance and training to coating engineers on assigned projects. Provides feedback through coaching and mentoring. Provides administrative and technical support to engineering management.
Minimum BS in engineering or related discipline, preferably in physics, optics, materials science, electrical or mechanical engineering
10 years minimum thin film coating engineering experience, preferably at an aerospace company
- Strong verbal and written technical communication skills
- Computer skills in word processing and spreadsheet software, including MS Word, Excel, Access, some CAD (Solidworks preferred), to support requirements for technical reports and analytical studies
- Strong hands-on experience in multiple conventional thin film deposition technologies (thermal and electron-beam evaporation, sputtering, chemical vapor deposition) including tooling design. Must possess a thorough understanding of the physics and practical mechanics of these processes
- Strong hands-on experience in pre-coat substrate cleaning methodologies
- Strong hands-on experience in characterization of coating performance
- Strong hands-on experience in coating design using a conventional software package
- Must be capable of reading blueprints
- Experience in process design, development and project planning is desired
- Ability to lead technical program presentations internally and for customers
- Strong analytical, fault isolation, and problem solving skills. DOE and SOE experience strongly desired
- Strong organizational skills and attention to details required
- Experience Experience in preparing and maintaining drawings, procedures, process routers and Bills of Materials with full documentation and configuration control
"II-VI Optical Systems is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex including sexual orientation and gender identity, national origin, disability, protected Veteran Status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable federal, state, or local law."