Senior Staff Accountant
SENIOR STAFF ACCOUNTANT
Basic Function: Coordinate and administer the Company’s efforts in the Asheville location to comply with various requirements applicable to a public company with international and multi-state sales and multiple subsidiaries.
- Performs specific job responsibilities:
- Prepares and/or reviews journal entries, supporting work papers, etc. on a monthly basis, to include work papers for the use of external auditors as well as for internal documentation purposes).
- Assist with providing information to and responding to questions posed by the external auditors
- Research accounting and disclosure requirements and ensure compliance with SOX section 404 requirements
- Reconcile detailed sub-ledger reports to the general ledger and complete monthly analysis of a variety of general ledger accounts
- Monitor receiving transactions and ensure proper general ledger coding
- Track fixed asset activity and provide capitalization details to the finance team throughout the month
- Prepares and maintains records of inventory balances, aging, and reserves and coordinate physical inventories with internal count teams and external auditors
- Monitor inventory costs to identify corrections and resolve issues related to standard material costs
- Serve as backup for other accounting functions and other duties as assigned
- Promotes OCC’s service excellence and quality. Provides excellent service to customers; builds strong relationships and team cohesiveness; focuses on quality and positive solutions; communicates respectfully; demonstrates compassion and understanding in response to requests/needs.
III. Champions OCC’s vision and values (as outlined in the 15 Essential Points of Success); complies with policies and procedures, ethical standards and Code of Conduct.
- Management responsibility – provides some direction to the AP Specialist.
- Communication – Communicates with all levels of employees regarding matters of financial concern.
- Confidentiality – Manages confidential and proprietary financial information.
- Financial responsibility – Follows ISO, ITAR, and SOX procedures in accurately completing financial information.
- Judgment – High level of judgment and decision making required within accounting guidelines and Sarbanes-Oxley regulations. Refers appropriate issues to Corporate Controller.
- Travel – Overnight/out of state travel limited but may be occasionally required.
Education and Experience:
A Bachelor’s degree in accounting or finance is required, as well as 3+ years accounting/finance experience. Experience in evaluating internal controls and a mix of public and industry experience are preferred. Manufacturing experience is a plus. A solid understanding of generally accepted accounting principles as well as excellent analytical skills and the ability to collaborate with a multi-department finance team are required. CPA preferred.
Essential Skills, Abilities, and Knowledge:
- Working knowledge of Microsoft Windows applications, including strong Excel skills.
- Experience with an integrated ERP software package
- Accuracy and attention to detail
- Excellent oral and written communication skills with the demonstrated ability to express oneself clearly and concisely
- The ability to work in a team environment with minimal supervision
- Strong organizational and time management skills
- The ability to accurately complete assignments on time and sometimes work outside normal working hours to meet deadlines
- The ability to work with and maintain confidential information
Working Conditions: This is a sedentary job which requires sufficient vision for computer use and significant English reading skills. This work also requires an individual with sufficient hearing for telephone contact with employees and customers as well as for taking and relaying messages. Significant computer input/typing duties require sufficient manual dexterity. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with a disability to perform the essential functions.
This job description is only meant to be a representative summary of the major responsibilities and accountabilities performed by the incumbents of this job. The incumbents may be requested to perform job-related tasks other than those stated in this description.
OCC offers a positive work environment driven around 15 Essential Points of Success, which is how OCC aspires to operate and is an integral part of our corporate philosophy and culture. OCC offers a competitive benefits package to promote health and financial security for you and your family that includes company-sponsored health, dental and vision plans, Health Savings Accounts (HSA’s), Flexible Spending Accounts (FSA’s), life insurance, short and long term disability coverage, optional supplemental insurance plans; including, critical illness and accident, a 401(k) plan, an Employee Assistance Program (EAP), education assistance, and wireless discounts. Employees are also provided with security options including Healthy Rewards®, Secure Travel®, Will Preparation and Identity Theft protection as well as generous paid time off and holiday schedules.
Click here to apply.
Optical Cable Corporation is an EEO/AA/Veterans/Disability Employer. For additional information, please click here.