Operations Network Engineer
Position Title: Operations Network Engineer
Location: US, Arlington, VA
Reports: Delivery Director
The Network Engineer is responsible for supporting the designing and implementing of networks solutions, including; local (LAN), wide (WAN) and global (GWAN) area networks, intranet, extranet and other data communications networks, according to the latest security standards and Corporate Cyber Security Guidelines. Defining, documenting, implementing and reinforcing global networking standards and security policies.
The network engineer contributes to the definition and implementation of the short/long term Global Networking Strategy; Manages 3rd party service providers; Provides help and guidance to AES Networking teams both at SBU and Global level; Ensures high available and sustainable network services; Navigates across a variety of technologies to process, analyze business requirements and translate the technical language into a common understanding; Interacts with middle level management within the company, functional and technical experts and deliver network solutions (standards, security policies, etc.) through direct interfacing at both the Corporate and SBU levels. The job holder of this position can make decisions when it comes to networking solutions and technologies pertaining to the global corporate network
- Analyze, troubleshoot, and configure network devices using general routing switch network technology and protocols. As well as, OSPF, BGP, MPLS, QoS, redistribution, and VPN access. Proactively review our network design and assess against industry standards and technology.
- Support Cisco AnyConnect VPN, ISE, AAA, ASA Firewalls, RSA SecureID, and Cisco Firepower
- Support F5 DNS, Infoblox DNS, QOS, providing support for business applications evaluating, troubleshooting, and deploying network solutions based on stated requirements.
- Advanced troubleshooting for network architecture delivery. Proactively monitor primary network devices assessing high utilization, error logs, recurring incidents, etc.
- Interface with other Global IT and SBU IT teams providing Tier 2 & 3 network technical support for all AES businesses as required.
- Interface with Cyber Security to make sure recommended security policies are in place on network devices and Firewalls. Also, administer and maintain policy changes ensuring compliance with Global IT Controls Policies.
- Deal with complex technologies worldwide with the requirement of 24x7 availability. Interacting with business and IT users worldwide.
- Understanding, influencing and supporting people through technical knowledge/rational arguments
Expected results for the position:
Ensure 24x7, high available and secure network to connect AES people, systems and technologies worldwide and protect AES confidential and financial information.These results are achieved by:
- Implementing secured Global Networking solutions to address AES' business requirements
- Establishing and tracking KPIs & SLAs
- Security Assessments and Audits
- Ability to work in a dynamic environment where the priorities changes without notice and very often
- Availability to work after hours during the week and weekend with short notice
- Customer and results oriented to manage the queues of Operations tickets and, consequently achieve the SLA to do not impact KPIs
- Cisco CCNA certifications (Routing and Switching) are required.
- CCNA Security, Wireless and Data Center are desirable.
- Cisco CCNP certifications (Routing and Switching, Security, Wireless and Data Center) are highly desirable.
- Experience with Visio.
- Experience with VMware virtualization for support and troubleshooting network architecture.
- Experience with WAN optimization technology such as Riverbed, and WAAS. WAAS is preferred.
- WAN accelerator (Cisco WAAS) experienceNetwork and Application Load balancer (F5-Networks, GTM & LTM) 3+ years of experience.
- Internal and external DNS experience 3+ years of experience
- Experience with Cloud Providers like AWS, MS Azure and Cloud Applications like Office365
- Experience configuring Cisco VOIP Phones and basic Call Manager configuration
- 5+ years of Local Area Network design, configuration and troubleshooting experience
- 5+ years of experience on Cisco Security environment including PIX/ASA via command line administration
- 5+ years of experience on Cisco Network environment including knowledge of installing Cisco Switches, Routers, WAP’s and Firewalls including:
- Solid and strong understanding of IP routing protocols (BGP and OSPF) and redistributing between them
- Solid and strong knowledge to maintain L2 LAN network switching (Spanning Tree, VTP and QoS
- Able to setup a wireless and wired 802.1x using radius authentication
- Proficient in Cisco Command Line Interface
- Able to interpret routing tables and troubleshoot interface status
- Able to configure and troubleshoot QoS on router and switches
- Able to interpret configurations / understand how the hardware fits into the overall network design
- Able to trouble shoot L2 LAN switching issues since (cable related, L2 protocols and all subsets)
- Ability to load new IOS software images onto a Cisco switch
The AES Corporation is a Fortune 200 global power company. We provide affordable, sustainable energy to 17 countries through our diverse portfolio of distribution businesses as well as thermal and renewable generation facilities. Our workforce of 21,000 people is committed to operational excellence and meeting the world’s changing power needs. AES is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, age, national origin, genetic information, disability or protected veteran status. E-Verify Notice: AES will provide the Social Security Administration (SSA) and, if necessary, the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), with information from each new employee's I-9 to confirm work authorization.