Geospatial Engineer - Contract
Airbus is a global leader in aeronautics, space and related services. In 2015, Airbus generated revenues of 64.5 billion and employed a workforce of around 136,600.
Airbus is a shareholder of the missile systems provider MBDA, a major partner in the Eurofighter consortium and owns a 50% stake in ATR, the turboprop aircraft maker, and Airbus Safran Launchers, the Ariane launcher manufacturer.
Airbus is a leading global manufacturer of Commercial Aircraft comprising highly successful families of aircraft ranging from 100 to over 600 seats. In Defense and Space, Airbus is a European leader providing tanker, combat, transport and mission aircraft as well as space systems, equipment and services. In Helicopters, Airbus is the world's No. 1 civil and parapublic helicopter manufacturer offering the world's widest range of civil and military helicopters.
What is Aerial?
Aerial brings together drone technology, high-altitude unmanned aircraft, satellite imaging infrastructure and analytical software into one common service offering for the commercial market. Our products give customers the ability to manage assets, support their customers and deliver new services in a new cost effective way leveraging aerial data. Aerial is a new startup division of Airbus, the global aerospace leader. We are building a state of the art and new-to-the-world capability, which will bring value to customers around the world. With applications ranging from disaster response, utility line inspections, insurance risk modeling to agriculture, the global aerial intelligence services market is expected to rapidly grow to $12.6 Billion by 2025 and we are leading the charge.
Why Work for Aerial?
As an autonomous unit within Airbus, we're also a part of one of the world's premier suppliers of aircraft, satellites, and defense hardware. We offer the best of both worlds: the speed, environment, and culture of a startup with the support and financial backing of a global aerospace pioneer. We have the freedom to move quickly, try new things, learn fast, and get products into market efficiently. We have a great team, casual dress code, plenty of snacks, drinks and coffee. Lots of employee engagement activities including happy hours, luncheons, other fun team building activities and incredible contemporary offices at Ponce City Market in the heart of Atlanta. Aerial also offers competitive compensation with the healthcare and PTO benefits of larger companies. In addition we offer 401k and pension plans making it easier to save for the long term.
It is the perfect combination of building innovative technology and products in an agile environment, with excellent support behind you.
As Airbus Aerial develops new capabilities and technology, it needs experienced Geomatics professionals to assist with the development of workflows and geospatial analytics. This person will gather, review and distribute a wide variety of data from various collection platforms. The successful candidate will also be responsible for providing support to different business units in the company. Additionally, the successful candidate will be responsible for conducting spatial analysis utilizing GIS (Geographic Information Systems) software and to produce specialized map products and transforming map data into actionable intelligence to answer client problems.
- Engineer 75%
- Assist project teams developing automated workflows to process and analyse geospatial information in a cloud environment.
- Develops GIS-based tools, applications, databases, or similar solutions. May learn new programs or processes required for assignments.
- Design acquisition parameters to meet client deliverables.
- Ensures that the deliverables and tasks that they work on are complete and follows Quality Control program requirements.
- Analyze technical problems and devise new approaches and alternative solutions
Sales Support: 25%
- Attends internal and external client meetings to provide input on the use of GIS and database systems solutions for various projects and emergency response planning.
- Supports the development of schedules and budgets for project tasks and business development efforts.
- Translate customer needs into technical specifications for remote sensing collection and analysis.
Qualified Experience / Skills / Training:
- BS in Geomatics, Computer Science, or related technical field; or combination of education and experience.
- Masters in Geomatics or GIS, preferred
- 5+ years developing GIS tools and workflows
- RTK/PPK use in data accuracy
- 3 to 5 years of experience in the following:
- Photogrammetry using a variety of senor data including Frame and line scanning camera, LiDAR, SAR, Multi and Hyperspectral data.
- Experience with machine learning, Artificial Intelligence (AI)
- Experience with interpretation and analysis of imagery from drone/UAS, manned aircraft and satellite.
Knowledge, Skills, Demonstrated Capabilities:
- Knowledgeable of competitors and current market direction in geomatics/GIS industry
- Knowledge of GPS surveying techniques
- Python, Java script, and SQL experience, preferred
Communication Skills (Spoken, Written, Influencing, Proficiency in Other Languages):
Effective verbal and written communication skills including the ability to conduct formal presentations
Technical Systems Proficiency:
- ESRI ArcGIS
- Leaflet JS
- CAD software
- 10% Domestic and International
- US Citizen or Green Card Holder
Decision Making, Complexity:
- Based on customer data products required, determine GSD required, type of analytics, overlap/sidelap. Produce collection specifications for field teams based on data needs and collection platforms.
- Evaluate data collected by field teams to ensure that specified quality standards are met. Order re-work if collection does not meet specifications.
Job Dimensions, Contributions to Success:
Vital role in the success of the company by supporting the product development and sales process.
Nature of Contacts:
Communication on a frequent basis with potential customers.
As a leader in our field, Airbus in America provides relocation assistance for qualified positions and a comprehensive compensation and benefits package.
Airbus in America provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status or other legally protected status. In addition to federal law requirements, Airbus in America complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, demotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, benefits and training.
Airbus in America expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, disability, genetics, pregnancy, marital status, veteran status or other legally protected status. Improper interference with the ability of Airbus' employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.
As a matter of policy, Airbus does not sponsor visas for US positions unless specified. Only applicants with current work authorization will be considered.
Airbus does not offer tenured or guaranteed employment. Either the company or the employee can terminate the employment relationship at any time, with or without cause, with or without notice.